[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 10 12:22:52 UTC 2004

I am indeed sorry to hear that your IT folks are not on your side. That
is a very unfortunate situation to be in, and I do know something of
that feeling. But we're not all like that. You're right; my district is
lucky to have folks like me and others on this list, chiefly because we
actually want to help. It sounds like you have little choice but to go
your own way, and the fact that your situation has made this necessary
is at best regrettable, and in my opinion, inexcusable.

One thing I do take some exception to, though, is this apparent
assumption on the part of a lot of teachers I've met that, just because
I am not a regular classroom teacher, that I am "lesser" or "the enemy"
or "you don't know a thing about what we actually do, so don't talk to
me, you non-teacher!". Such teachers, and their principals/vice
principals who back this attitude, are just dead wrong when they speak
of me this way, and, sadly, they do it often--to my bosses, behind my
back--when I'm there to help them.

My point wasn't to knock teachers or folks like you; on the contrary, I
encourage you heartily. Rather, it was to say that the Aunt Tillys of
the world shouldn't be messing with a network without having learned
something about what they're doing *first*, which it sounds like you
have. I most certainly encourage that and wish more would! It'd make my
job a whole lot easier. I'm not an individual site admin myself anymore,
but I interface a lot with the site admins of the individual schools.
I'm actually one of four infrastructure guys for all 246 sites of ours,
so if it says Cisco on it, it's my job to make sure it keeps working,
and that includes the new wireless rollout. As part of that, I also run
several servers of various types (HP OpenView, etc.).

You want help from IT folks? You got it; I'll put my floppy disk where
my drive is. I've made this offer before, and I'll make it again. If
you're a school employee out there in the greater Washington, DC area,
are in a similar situation as Dennis, and thinking about running LTSP,
K12LTSP, or a Free/Net/OpenBSD equivalent in your school, I am willing
to help you. I'm also willing to help you if you're not in Dennis's type
of situation, i. e. your IT folks support you properly. My price is a
Hershey's Symphony bar (the big one--I love those) and possibly lunch,
and yes, this offer is for real. I even have a dual-Athlon server with
4GB DRAM and Gig-E to use for demos. Any takers?

--TP