[K12OSN] Quad 450's as K12 Server?

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 10 12:34:09 UTC 2004

Funny you should ask.  Our mail dudez recently gave us an "old" quad
500MHz Compaq box with RAID 5 (I think it's an 8000) and 2.5GB DRAM, and
K12LTSP 3.1.2 now runs on it.  So, I can give you feedback about my box.

All of my apps' threads each run at the speed of the 500Mhz chips, but
since I have four chips, things balance out very nicely.  Response time
is quite sufficient.  The RAID 5 is great; if I need to swap, it's much
faster than on a single disk.  Loading programs is also quite fast for
an "old" box like this, due partly to the RAID 5.  Now, my Dual Athlon
box will handily smoke this quad 500 when it comes to anything
CPU-bound, and I haven't done a head-to-head scientific comparo, but my
quad 500 certainly does the job.

I think it'd be worth it to toss that 3GB DRAM into your quad 450.
Remember, with more than one CPU, you can actually be physically
executing multiple processes at the same time.  And you're getting three
of 'em?  I'd so be all over that....

--TP