[K12OSN] Quad 450's as K12 Server?

Shawn Austin austinsr at uindy.edu
Mon May 10 13:26:19 UTC 2004

A quad 450 doesn't hold a candle to a 1.8GHz machine.  You will find it
very slow and sluggish.  I used a similar setup for a few days while I
was having my server replaced, and I hated every minute of it.

If you do a benchmark on a 1.8GHz machine, and the quad 450, you will
find that the quad 450 does not even rank in the same ball park.  You
also must consider that the ram that is in such a old machine will not
be anywhere as quick as a modern machine would have.

If you are tight on cash, I would take the $260.00*3($780), and check
out dells web site and find something on sale for cheap.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs ($439 for P4 2.66GHz w/533MHz front side bus)

Then head over to http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m33.htm and pick up
some ram with the $341 left over.  You will be much happier with the
performance of that machine than you will the Compaqs.