[K12OSN] email understanding help

Mark Orenstein morenstein at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 10 20:05:13 UTC 2004

We've been using postfix, imap, squirrelmail for a couple of years for our
small school systems email and it's been great.  Our latest version using
the K12LTSP 4.0.0 install cd's has been in production for a few months.

Now I'm looking at installing MailScanner with spamassassin and some
antivirus software and I have some questions about my understanding of who
does what.  All our teacher and administrator mailboxes are on this one
system.

1.  For incoming mail from the outside (and maybe inside), does postfix
write directly to inboxes in /var/spool/mail or is procmail somehow
involved?

2.  For mail sent internally from teacher to teacher, does the imap software
via sendmail.postfix invoke postfix to write to the inbox in /var/spool/mail
(perhaps through procmail - question 1) or does the imap software handle it
directly since it is staying on the same server?

Thanks for your help,
Mark Orenstein
East Granby School System