[K12OSN] Not recreating the wheel

Lewis Holcroft lewis at pcc.com
Thu May 13 19:13:56 UTC 2004

Hello all,

Well now that the demo is complete. I have complete buy in. Oh they
want this in place next month. Oh...

So I figured I would write you all with a little map of before and
after and you could indicate potential problems.

Currently there are five locations. The main location has one router to
the internet and one router to each of the four remote offices. Our
product is located on the main server and is accessed via a telnet
client. Hence the small bandwidth to the remote sites. The Main server
is also a DHCP server and the routers to the remote locations support
DHCP relay. So was are able to control the network routing and the like
from the main server. This setup also allows us to route web browsing
out through an internet connection at each location and limit traffic
over the very slow ISDN lines.

Here's an ASCII map.

Main Office LAN                                          INTERNET
   10.0.0.0/24                         WAN              |
        |                        aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd        |
        |                               |               |
        +-- .1 -- Linux Server -- .1 ---+        Type of connection
        |  (eth0)          (eth1)       |   (STATIC IP, DHCP, PPP, etc.)
        |                               |               |
        |                               +----- Type of Router
        |                               |

        +-- ... -- Main Office PCs/Printers
        |                                         Remote A LAN
        |                                          10.0.1.0/24
        |                                               |
        +-- .11 -- Pipeline --ISDN-- Pipeline ---- .1 --+
        |   (local-remote)              (remote-local)  |
        |                                               +-- .10 Internet
        |                                               |
        |                Remote A PCs/Printers -- ... --+
        |                                               |

        |                                         Remote B LAN
        |                                          10.0.2.0/24
        |                                               |
        +-- .12 -- Pipeline --ISDN-- Pipeline ---- .1 --+
        |   (local-remote)        (remote-local)        |
        |                                               +-- .10 Internet
        |                                               |
        |              i Remote B PCs/Printers -- ... --+
        |                                               |

        |                                         Remote C LAN
        |                                          10.0.3.0/24
        |                                               |
        +-- .13 -- Pipeline --ISDN-- Pipeline ---- .1 --+
        |   (local-remote)        (remote-local)        |
        |                                               |
        |                                               +-- .10 Internet
        |                Remote C PCs/Printers -- ... --+
        |                                               |

        |                                         Remote D LAN
        |                                          10.0.4.0/24
        |                                               |
        +-- .14 -- Pipeline --ISDN-- Pipeline ---- .1 --+
        |   (local-remote)        (remote-local)        |
        |                                               |
        |                                               +-- .10 Internet
                         Remote D PCs/Printers -- ... --+

What I have proposed is a LTSP server at each location to server that
local subnet. Each desktop will have a telnet session that routes back
to the main location where are product lives right now. I am thinking
of authenticating against the current server, and NFS mounting users
home to the various LTSP servers. So telnet, NFS and authentication
would happen over the ISDN lines. Web and the like still routed to the
net locally at each site.

Are there any major issues, can this be done. Without having to replace
the ISDN connection.

How can I best keep the remote terminal servers in sync with each
other? Very few users work at more than one location.

I plan on using squirrelmail and pointing it to the current imap server.

The alternative to this windows and frankly windows is part of the
problem. These folks spend more of their time dealing with anti-virus
updates and windows updates than they do on their actual job.

Once again, Thanks in advance.

---------
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better.... So I installed
Linux.