[K12OSN] Not recreating the wheel

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Fri May 14 04:23:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Lewis Holcroft wrote:

> Are there any major issues, can this be done. Without having to replace
> the ISDN connection.
>
> How can I best keep the remote terminal servers in sync with each
> other? Very few users work at more than one location.
>
> I plan on using squirrelmail and pointing it to the current imap server.

Wow.  That was quite a diagram!

I would not do the nfs over the isdn lines.  rsync will work fine to
keep the boxes in sync for basic file stuff, either pushing from the
master for pulling from the client end.  For the people who move around,
just set an rsync job for them that runs more often than they can get
between the 2 closest buildings.  It doesn't have to be fast, just
faster than them.

While folks like to talk about instantenous access to everything, in
reality the cost to go from "you will never wait more than 15 minutes" to
"instaneous" can be rather prohibitive.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE                                jim at rossberry.com
http://www.rossberry.com