[K12OSN] I need input from educators...

Erich Vinson erich at erichv.com
Fri May 14 04:42:16 UTC 2004

anthony baldwin wrote:

> I had quizzes, games and tests online, via this tool, that students
> could take online.  Of course, being an English teacher, I could only
> use it for grammar and vocabulary.  Reading assessment and papers
> wouldn't work, of course, except that students could submit their work
> in a drop box in a suitable file format (rtf).  It was useful.  Very
> useful.  A calendar/plan book on their would be useful too.  I keep a
> blog on my classroom site for communication with parents.  That's a
> useful tool.

Thank you! That is great information.

> I would like to be useful to you, if I may, in this project.  I am no
> developer (html is my only code, really) but I am a gimper/artist and
> can create images, etc.

Yes, please! I fancy myself a pretty decent coder, but I am *most*
certainly not good with graphics. Any help, in any capacity, is
*greatly* appreciated.

> I have quite a few images, splash screens, color themes, etc., up on
> KDElook.org (username: photodharma).I do all the graphics for my own
> site, of course, school-library.net, and have a site full of my own
> art, photodharma.com
> Also, I have quite a few writing activities and articles I use for
> reading assessments, etc., on my own classroom site
> (http://sterling.school-library.net) that I have or will release under
> creative commons, so that you could use them.  I am always tring to
> generate more stuff and have many plans for more curricula to be posted.

This is great! I am very excited about this project and what it could
become. Our schools need something like this, and I can see that K12LTSP
is making some pretty decent headway. I LOVE the idea of open-source,
you/me/anyone else can get involved and make things beter for everyone.

Also, I have received several responses from others in the community
that would love to use this, and at least one of those was a commercial
vendor who subscribes to this list. I think a great next step would be
to get a project on SourceForge, or via some project management on my
website, or some other website. With the level of collaboration that
will be required, I think it would be unfair to "hijack" this list. Any
thoughts?