[K12OSN] Watching the User's web traffic...

Matthew Ross mross at esd165.org
Fri May 14 17:03:27 UTC 2004

george kocke wrote:

>LTSP server is running identd. I do the following to monitor web
>traffic:
>
>tail -f /var/log/dansguardian/access.log
>
>I also wrote a Perl script to monitor Google searches.
>
>The only problem I've run into is that identd on the LTSP box was
>hogging the CPU when there was lots of surfing happening at once.
>However, this problem *seems* to not be as bad since I moved the
>cache/filter server to a much more powerful machine.
>
>Which filter are you using?

Ah, why didn't I think of identd? I should have known that. Sm:)e.

We are using the content filtering provided by our SonicWall firewall.
It's very inexpensive (compared to most other hardware solutions) and
has been very dependable. Thanks to my squid proxy and a little
squidguard hack I picked up from this list, all google traffic is forced
into safemode as well.

Thanks for the hint.

--Matt