[K12OSN] Raid 0

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 14 21:38:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:45, Rick O'Dell wrote:
>         I'm trying to set up a raid, using MCI motherboard with a
> onboard ATA 133 controller, two 10 gig hard drives. I obviously don't
> have a clue what I'm doing, but I would like to stripe these drives. I
> have done this with windows but I'm having trouble with LTSP 4.01. I
> don't know how to partition the HD's correctly.... Could someone
> please walk me through the setup....
> Thanks, Rick.

If you are installing on them there are a couple of ways
you can do it in the diskdruid GUI.  I've only done RAID1
but the approach should be the same.  Create the per-disk
partitions you want first, setting the type as raid, then
select them and create the raid set with the mount point,
filesystem type, and raid level.

If you have a working system and are adding new drives, fdisk
the partitions, setting the type as FD (raid autodetect), then
create the raid with 'mdmadm --create ...'.  There are some
examples shown in 'man mdadm' (yum install mdadm if you don't
have it).  Then make the filesystem on the md device you
just created and mount it.  Be sure you understand that you
multiply the chance of disk failure by the number of
drives in a raid0...

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com