[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 14 22:35:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 17:02, anthony baldwin wrote:
> >  If you hadn't had the boot floppy
> > you could still recover by using the install cd and entering
> > 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt, then following the instructions
> > to 'chroot /mnt/sysinstall' later.  That would have you running
> > with your drives mounted so the /sbin/lilo would work.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> Maybe I should try the cd rescue?

No, it doesn't fix anything, it just boots you so you
run completely from the CD and if it can find an installation
on the hard disk it tries to mount it so you can chroot there.
Then commands you execute work more or less like they would
if you had booted normally.  You are still pretty much on your
own to figure out the right commands.

> [root at localhost tony]# /sbin/lilo
> Fatal: open /boot/message: No such file or directory
> [root at localhost tony]#

Do you have a /boot partition?  Is there a file named
message?  I think this is supposed to be a graphic but
it should be optional.  If that is all that is wrong,
you can remove the 'message=/boot/message' line from
/etc/lilo.conf and try to run /sbin/lilo again.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com