[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 14 23:23:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 18:10, anthony baldwin wrote:
> > If everything else is correct, running
> > grub-install
> > as root should do it all for you.  If you try it the hard way
> > you have to figure out the bsd-style partition name conventions.
> >

> I did /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
> and I got an "install finished" message, which seemed to indicate that
> all was well, but a subsequent reboot produced simliar results as
> perviously, only, instead of a screen with only "LI" in the corner, it
> have "L  80  80  80  80  80  80  80"
> adding another 80 every 20 seconds or so.  I grew tired of the
> proliferating 80s and flopped in the floppy and rebooted.
> Is this really bad news?  Does it mean my MBR is all hosed or something?

Whichever of grub or lilo you installed last will overwrite the
MBR, but it sounds like something is missing.  Does 'df' show any
space remaining on your /boot partition?  If it is full, you
may have installed too many kernels without removing any.
rpm -qa |grep kernel
should show the currently installed versions.  If there are quite
a few, get rid of some with 'rpm -e ...'.  Then if you upgraded from
CD's and haven't done an online update, do a 'yum update kernel' to
install the latest available and fill in any missing pieces.  You
may still have to patch up the grub installation or hand-edit
/etc/lilo.conf

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com