[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat May 15 00:02:26 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 18:10, anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>>>If everything else is correct, running
>>>grub-install
>>>as root should do it all for you.  If you try it the hard way
>>>you have to figure out the bsd-style partition name conventions.
>>>

>>I did /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
>>and I got an "install finished" message, which seemed to indicate that
>>all was well, but a subsequent reboot produced simliar results as
>>perviously, only, instead of a screen with only "LI" in the corner, it
>>have "L  80  80  80  80  80  80  80"
>>adding another 80 every 20 seconds or so.  I grew tired of the
>>proliferating 80s and flopped in the floppy and rebooted.
>>Is this really bad news?  Does it mean my MBR is all hosed or something?
>

> Whichever of grub or lilo you installed last will overwrite the
> MBR, but it sounds like something is missing.  Does 'df' show any
> space remaining on your /boot partition?  If it is full, you
> may have installed too many kernels without removing any.
> rpm -qa |grep kernel

I got this output:

bash-2.05b$ rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
ltsp_kernel_i386-3.0-13.k12ltsp.0.4.0
kernel-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
ltsp_kernel_i386_pxe-3.0-13.k12ltsp.0.4.0
ltsp_kernel_kitchen-sink-3.0-2.k12ltsp.2.3.0
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13

bash-2.05b$ rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl

Which stumps me.  Before the update I had at least 7 kernels showing
when lilo came up.  Someof them were just older kernels, but I don't se
them now.  An smp and the bigmem were also listed.  It was booting the
bibmem, for no apparent reason, but it was working so I left it alone.
I'm not sure what to remove here, either, and what to keep.
What's an nptl kernel?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your assistance, btw.

I'm wondering if this output is significant:

bash-2.05b$ cd /usr/src/linux-2.4/kernel
bash-2.05b$ ls
acct.c         exit.c       kmod.c    printk.c    sys.c
capability.c   fork.c       ksyms.c   profile.c   sysctl.c
compat.c       futex.c      Makefile  ptrace.c    time.c
context.c      info.c       module.c  resource.c  timer.c
cpufreq.c      itimer.c     panic.c   sched.c     uid16.c
dma.c          kallsyms.c   pid.c     signal.c    user.c
exec_domain.c  kksymoops.c  pm.c      softirq.c

and

bash-2.05b$ cd /boot
bash-2.05b$ ls
boot.0300