[K12OSN] wine wmp

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun May 16 00:33:37 UTC 2004

Looks like Windows Mediocre Player checks for certain versions of
certain DLLs, doesn't see Microsoft's special signature on 'em, and
quits, whether the app would actually run successfully without doing
this check.  I can think of two reasons for this:

1.)  Force-feed OS upgrades down people's throats.
2.)  Keep it from running on WINE.

This reminds me of the DR-DOS and Windows 3.1 "errors" back in the early
1990's.

Consider using mplayer instead.  You will have to compile the src, but
the learning curve isn't horrible.  I have several .WMVs, .AVIs, .ASFs,
.MPGs, DivX, etc., and mplayer handles them all with aplomb.  Even plays
RealVideo streams (not that well, though, but it does work).  But it
would mean compiling source.

The other alternative is to get the codecs for Xine and install them.  I
don't know if Xine can handle that as Red Hat compiles it (I haven't
tried it since RHL 7.3).

--TP