[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 3, Issue 74

Dan Bo faengoy at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 15:00:20 UTC 2004

OK, from the Etherboot Website:
The first part is Etherboot contains code that when it
sends out a DHCPDISCOVER request, a tag containing a
Vendor Class Identifier of "Etherboot-x.y" is sent
out, where x.y is the version number, currently 5.0.
The 5 and the 0 are printable digits, not binary
values, i.e. byte values 53 and 48 respectively. This
allows the server to identify Etherboot clients and
ignore all others.

The second part is Etherboot can be conditionally
compiled to require a Vendor Encapsulated Option
containing a VCI of "Etherboot", otherwise it will
ignore the DHCPOFFER. The option is not compiled in by
default because it would cause Etherboot to not boot
in plain setups. The server we want to respond will
include this tag in DHCPOFFERs and while other servers
(e.g. Windows servers) may respond, they will be
ignored.
------------------------------------
This means that only the Etherboot clients will get
answers and that they will get it only from the DHCP
server requested.  There may very well be an answer
and a lease from another server, but is that really
important?
As to school policy on such matters, I can't answer,
but we were talking about using different ports, which
I don't think would be viewed any differently than
this setup.
Do it on a test LAN first with a regular DHCP client
to check that it's not getting any answers before you
put it live,
Dan