[K12OSN] Linux vulnerabilities?

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 17 23:51:30 UTC 2004

An exhaustive list of the "vulnerabilities" of *any* operating system
would fill a several-thousand-page book, be it Windows, GNU/Linux, *BSD,
OS/2, MVS, or otherwise.

What should be addressed, from the perspective of "holes" in the
software itself, is how quickly the holes get fixed in the Free Software
Community, versus the "closed-source" proprietary world of Microsoft and
Sun.  Remind them that most bugs in Free Software get fixed within a few
days, tops.  By contrast, bugs in Windows most often take several
*months* to get fixed.  Witness the vulnerabilities that allowed Code
Red, Nimda, Slammer, MSBlaster, Nachi, SoBig, Netsky, and, the most
recent to date, Sasser, to proliferate on Windows systems, and this will
continue.

Another thing that should be addressed is how GNU/Linux, and certainly
K12LTSP, is run.  Users don't run as "Administrator" on K12LTSP.  No, no
nonononono....   They run as unprivileged users, always, unless someone
explicitly sets their userID to 0, and only root can do that.

It sounds like these "techies" are paper MCSEs scared of losing their
jobs.  I've met far too many like that throughout my career.  You'll
just have to go over their heads.

--TP