[K12OSN] NVU Site Manager

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Tue May 18 03:53:32 UTC 2004

Huck wrote:

> Hrmph...
> after trying and trying and trying to get Nvu's Site Manager to go
> retrieve the entire website for a school I service to show them they
> don't need frontpage for simple website design classes(I used to force
> kids to use notepad *muahaha*)....I can't get it to retrieve the files
> from the remote server.
>
> apparently i'm not understanding what "Publishing address (e.g.
> 'ftp://ftp.myisp.com/myusername'): means..
>
> for instance...when I ftp to the location(fictional) I do the
> following at the CLI:
>
>     ftp  frank.smith.net
> login: huck
> password: huckspassword
>
> then voila ...   do 'ls'  and the 'www' directory is there of course...
> so can someone throw me a bone as to what NVU requires?

Huck,

I don't have nvu loaded here, but I have seen other tools (mostly web
browsers, but this is built from mozilla) that require the ftp address as:

ftp://user@site.com

It will then prompt for a password.

or

ftp://user:password@site.com
(be careful not to save the seesion an store your password this way)

So using your example it would be

ftp://huck@frank.smith.net

Maybe you could try this format.

ben