[K12OSN] Joining XP system to Samba

Joe Faletra jfaletra at sau16.org
Tue May 18 17:40:01 UTC 2004

Ok folks this one is making me nuts.  I am trying to join and XP system
to a Samba domain.  I am using K12LTSP running samba,  Here is the
smb.conf:

# Date: 2004/05/14 10:12:23

# Global parameters
[global]
        os level = 32
        workgroup = NEWFIELDS
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        passwd program = /usr/sbin/passwd %u
        local master = yes
        netbios name = k12ltsp
        ldap ssl = no
        max log size = 50
        logon home = \\k12ltsp\%U
        min passwd length = 2
        pam password change = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        security = domain
        unix password sync = yes
        domain master = yes
        wins support = true
        encrypt passwords = yes
        logon drive = h://

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No
        writable = yes
        valid users = %S
        create mode = 0600
        directory mode = 0700
        logon home = \\k12ltsp\%U
        hide files = /*.pst/

When I try to connect a machine (SAU-SPDC-0008  machine name) to the
NEWFIELDS domain I get:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "NEWFIELDS"
The username could not be found.

I am also running SME server.  DHCP has been disabled on SME.  User
accounts are on the K12LTSP box.  THere is one user account on SME.
Which adds another question, how do I tell that the K12LTSP server is
the only one authenticating???

Joe

Joe Faletra
School Administrative Unit 16
Districts Manager for Technology Support Services
T: 603-775-8576
F: 603-775-8487
http://www.sau16.org