[K12OSN] library kiosks

Calvin Park csitech at davisny.edu
Tue May 18 20:52:03 UTC 2004

We recently decided to go a slightly different route with our Library
here. We put Cobind (www.cobind.com) on several IBM NetVista's and
modified the desktop for the main login (username: library) so that
students can only access Firefox and a telnet login to the Library card
catalog. I'm personally hoping to motivate the Library staff to move
their card catalog to something like Koha....but who knows?

The way we did it isn't fool-proof, but it does keep the majority of our
students from modifying anything. Of course, those who want to mess
around with it can/could figure it out. But they generally lose
privileges, and we just take twenty minutes to re-image the machine if
anything extremely evil happens. This might not be what you're looking
for...but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

-Calvin