[K12OSN] Squid / Socks

daniel.hunt at iibbank.ie daniel.hunt at iibbank.ie
Wed May 19 12:11:56 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Josiah Ritchie
> > Ah .. I didnt know that ..
> > I thought I could just slap a redhat box between my lan and my router
with
> > squid and a socks5 server and it'd stop all those nasty mp3's being sent
by
> > my sister to her friends ;)
> :-) That's not an easy task at all. Even if you track down the port it
> works on, it's likely to change ports again each time you track it down.
> You could block all but valid ports (we're talking iptables now) and
> then it would take awhile until it found and operated on one of the open
> ports. Better, just block the IP address, but I don't want to start a
> family feud. :-)

You'll tell me what I WANT you to tell me :D

At the moment the only culprit is MSN - but that's not to say that she
hasn't tried Kazaa or anything.
I've had to reinstall windows on the family computer and force the household
to use a normal user account (I hold the only admin account) to try to stop
her from installing completely and utterly crap and usless software

I have yet to move the router onto my linux box's second NIC (and have yet
to put the second NIC _in_ the linux box :p) but I want to be sure that when
I do that it is going to work without any hiccups.

I want to disable all file transfers from the Lan -> net and vice versa
unless it's coming from a trusted ip (my own pc ... naturally :p )

As you can tell I'm sick of her sending her friend's MP3's .. I'm not in the
mood to get my machines confiscated if caught ;o) and she just plain doesnt
care. Also ... is there any way of having the linux box log all of this sort
of traffic?

Daniel

This email and any attached files are confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately
by telephone at ++353 1 6035800 or email emailadmin at iibbank.ie
and then delete this email.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.The sender therefore
of this message, and shall have no liability for any loss or damage
suffered by the user, which arise as a result of email transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard copy version.