[K12OSN] Re: CMapTools and K12LTSP

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Wed May 19 14:54:58 UTC 2004

After your post about an Inspiration "clone" my mind went into full alert.
I am in the process of setting up an LTSP and this was one of the missing
apps ... so to have a concept mapping tool would be wonderful.
  I installed it at home on a Windows PC last night.  Yes it works well, but
is fairly simple.... not a lot of bells and whistles.  I also installed it
on my LTSP server this morning and arrived at the same conclusion that it is
NOT multi-user capable. It would have to be installed in each user's home
directory.

BUT here is a solution - theorically - not tried yet...
Linux has a /etc/skel/ directory that contains the "skeleton" on which a new
user is based.  IF ??? one were to install CMAP into a test user.  Then
BEFORE he "registers" it with his name and password, take the that directory
and plop it into the etc/skel.  A new user would then automatically get this
directory on the creation of a new user.

Then one would need to create an icon on the KDE desktop that runs sh
cmaptools without having the user go down to a terminal....

Do you think this would work?