[K12OSN] library kiosks

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed May 19 18:10:24 UTC 2004

I did something similar for my daughter when she was 4.  It was a very
simple approach but, I sure you can make it work.  Any way - I always
like the KISS approach. So here is what I am thinking for you -

Give each Library terminal it's own name (i.e library01, library02, etc)
and use the same password for each one to make life easy on the
librarians.  Then make your X script (.xsession, .xinitrc, etc) only
launch the web browser in full screen mode - NOTHING ELSE.

     # My Kiosk .xsession script
     exec firefox

See http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/phoenix/kiosk.htm for a good HOW-TO for firefox, of course you could also use any other browser on the system.  (Dillo accually comes to mind as a good option)

Students should not be able to close the browser with the full screen option, and
do not have ready access to anything else.  If the browser does get closed, then
the session is ended.  You can set all of the users to use the same profile that is owned
by root so they can't change the setting.

I know that it does not have the autologin part, but like I said KISS.