[K12OSN] Loosing access to master password

Alan A Hodson ahodson at elp.rr.com
Thu May 20 13:03:15 UTC 2004

Hi gang

The unthinkable happened. Somehow I lost the root password to a new
system, and I am facing the daunting task of having to reinstall
everything... No files need to be saved, BUT, the question arises,
what if the system is hacked and your root password changed? What
security options are there? - I am thinking a boot disk with root
login with no pwd or some such emergency app, something like the
Install OSX CD in Macs, where one of the choices is change passwords
(being linux based, one of our gurus ought to be able to reverse
engineer the process...)
Cheers
Alan Hodson
El Paso ISD, TX