[K12OSN] switching eth0 and eth1

Matthew Ross mross at esd165.org
Thu May 20 17:18:14 UTC 2004

Huck wrote:

>Ummm no...just swapping cables doesn't work =)

There are other times when "just switch the cables" doesn't work, either.

One example: NIC on the motherboard, which runs at 100Mbits is assigned
Eth0. Secondary Nic, which I have plugged in via PCI slot is assigned
Eth1... but this is my Gigabit network card.

Obviously, I'd rather have my Gigabit card on the Eth0 side of things,
as the traffic from a large number of clients would benifit from it. My
WAN connection doesn't really need that kind of speed since it's limited
much slower than 1-Gb/s.

My solution: Turn off the onboard NIC, install another PCI NIC. Get the
order of the cards right so Linux asigns the Gigabit adapter to Eth0.
Works well enough for me, but a better solution must be out there.

--Matt