OT?? Re: [K12OSN] Loosing access to master password

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri May 21 13:00:53 UTC 2004

[SNIP]
> Of course, give me physical access and I can get past most
> things - but if the chassis is locked, I'm pretty much
> stopped in my tracks as I can't get access to the mobo
> battery to reset the BIOS password.

Let's face it, if you have a malicious user tucked away in your server
room with enough time to perform most of the needed tasks, then you have
more of a problem on you hand then a hacked server.  My dread is always
someone getting into my server rooms, then before even getting to the
computers they yank all those fancy phone wires off the hundreds of
punch down blocks, computers are backed up....physical punchdowns are
not.  Point being don't beat yourself up over standing in front of the
box security, if you are really worried, put it in a locked server room.