[K12OSN] Web based file sharing

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 21 15:27:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 09:00, Jason Neiffer wrote:
> Actually...I am really interested in this topic as well.  I like Byteboard
> as a solution if we can't figure it out.

If you want to make the files publicly visible or at least to
groups, you could use a wiki that allows file attachments.  I
happen to like twiki which, among other nice features, allows
external authentication by the web server.  People still have
to fill in a registration page but the allowed accounts and
passwords can all be elsewhere.  This is especially easy if you
drop in mod_auth_pam into apache and point it wherever your
system authentication goes.

Twiki also has a growing list of plugins including one that lets
you edit tables easily in place and another that allows you to
connect forms to databases (which someone mentioned recently in
another thread).

For strictly private file transfers you could use email.  My
kids have resorted to using their own account from our home
ISP as a holding space and the ISP's web mail interface to
download onto the school computers.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com