[K12OSN] Freezing!?!

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Thu May 20 02:02:48 UTC 2004

Installed k12ltsp 3.1.2 on intel dual xeon mb with 4gb. Worked well for about
1 week. THEN when I'm doing nothing, not even 1 client up, the keyboard and
mouse lock hard. Can't even ctrl-alt-backspace. Keyboard lights ALL flashing
(I think this means kernel panic). Power button on server won't even work.
Have to turn power bar off. Running ext3 so FS should survive it. Using
2.4.20 smp kernel. Up time is random 5min - 60min. Interestingly was running
top before it went down and I noticed processes still running!! I think X was
at the top. I have the standard ati rage xl built in chip. Wondering if
anyone has seen this before? BTW I am running memtest86 overnight. Ran it for
2 hours today with no errors. Also, my PS is an Enermax 465PVE (460W) for
dual 2.8 xeons. Also, have 2 seagate scsi drives on seperate scsi channels.
Both id=7 since they are on seperate channels. sda is / and sdb is /home.

BTW power managment was always off in BIOS. Also turned off apm service but no
luck.

Robert Arkiletian
Eric Hamber Secondary