[K12OSN] Freezing!?!

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Sat May 22 00:53:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 04:49, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> **Problem Solved.**
>
> It was the "Secure mode" timeout in the BIOS that did it. Just in case anyone
> else has this problem on Intel server boards. Disable "Secure Mode" timer in
> the BIOS.
>
> Robert Arkiletian
Amazing!!! Before I could even read through my backlog mail and say "I
do" ;-0 you have also posted a solution.
Had similar problem but since I do not have ability to single out cause
I went hit and trial. Found that disabling hyper-threading in BIOS and
using non-smp kernel worked. Which of the two actually did the needful I
do not know but left my server at that and the uptime today is 45 days.
Can you detail what secure mode timer does or why it is there in first
place? IAC I will google for it. Will try this.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux