[K12OSN] IE requirement

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Mon May 24 13:56:53 UTC 2004

> jam at mcquil.com wrote:
>

> Why does mozilla's roaming profiles not work ?
> <<
>
> Ahh, Grasshopper, let me bring you enlightenment. You are assuming I'm
> talking about a K12LTSP system, but unfortunately this school has not
> found
> the one true way yet. They have Windows machines around the school, but
> I've set up a Samba/Apache/TikiWiki server with Windows roaming profiles.
>
> As you say, on a Unix system, the Mozilla profile - and indeed, profiles
> for other applications, too - is stored in the user's home directory. But
> Netscape 7.1 for Windows stores the profile in "C:\Program
> Files\Netscape\Users\username", so of course, the profiles stay on the
> machine, rather than going with the user's stuff to the Samba server
> profile share.
>
> I haven't looked at how Mozilla Firefox handles it - I have it installed
> on
> this Win2K notebook, but haven't found its profile storage yet. If it
> stores it in the user's profile, I'll be happy to switch from IE. But to
> be
> honest, the tools available for a network roll-out of IE (the IEAK), plus
> the way it works with roaming profiles, are way ahead of Netscape et al.
> That really frosts me, but it's the way it is. . .

Les,
 Mozilla stores the profile under "Documents and Settings". what i did as
an experiment was to samba mount my user directory residing on the ltsp
server under the "Documents ...". this works well when the link is fast.
for slow links i use a different profile. there is also a possibility of
running rsync between the machines to synch the profiles. this is a pain,
but actually achieves a true roaming goal. julius