[K12OSN] NFS Client for Windows

Patrick Mohr patmo98 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 16:30:27 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>Just curious as to why it is such a bad idea.  If I am doing something
>
>incredibly stupid I would like to know.  I just saw this as an easier
>
>way to share files real time remotely than setting up a VPN.  I have
>
>people all the time who have something like Quickbooks at work and want
>
>to be able to edit this at home as well.  Problem is they do not have
>
>access to the .qbk file from home.  I thought something like this would
>
>be an easy fix to store the .qbk on a linux server and export the share
>
>via nfs to the ip of the 2 clients that needed access to it.  Problem
>
>solved.  But maybe this is insane, I don't know enough yet to know the
>
>difference.
>

>I'll check out the MS link in the meantime.
>

>Thanks

Insane is the wrong word, but MS has never been very good at working
with other OS's.  I think that you should try the package samba.  This
package makes it look to all computers of the network that the computer
is an NT server.  If you enable SWAT is /etc/xinetd.d/swat you shouldn't
have too much trouble with it.