[K12OSN] Memory limit per user?

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Fri May 28 02:52:59 UTC 2004

I know disk quotas for each user can be implemented by having /home on a
seperate partition. But is it possible to set a limit for the maximum memory
each user can have?

This would prevent any one user from exhausting the server ram and causing the
class to a crawl as the swap comes into play. Today, someone in my class
somehow got gimp to eat 1gig of ram (I saw it with "top") and the whole class
really felt the lag as the active swap partition started growing. Also, what
if a student writes a program that gets into an infinite loop of allocating
dynamic memory. (*it could happen*)

Somebody must have thought of this problem before?

Robert Arkiletian
Eric Hamber Secondary