[K12OSN] Server Clone

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri May 28 13:32:41 UTC 2004

[SNIP]
> rsync would be my knee jerk response but I've never done a
> complete system before and don't know if that would work.

Well I have been trying a few different things, restore was the first
from a full system dump to NFS mount via webmin without any luck.  The
other was rsync but my syntax is very questionable (rsync -e ssh -avz
--delete-after user at server:/ /), that managed to render my new server
unbootable afterwards :-)  I am really nervous about entering the wrong
command and killing files on the original server.  Also if I get
something to work, I am worried about whether or not it will be a true
clone or if only enough files are alike to seem that way which could
lead to problems down the road.  Both servers will eventually maintain a
separate user base but all software on both will be identical.