[K12OSN] Best approach to calm the school's administration about Linux?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Fri May 28 18:49:47 UTC 2004

Hello,

After finally setting up everything and having the lab running
smoothly, some issues have arisen.

It seems rumours within the school's administration/board abound that
the lab we have is totally useless for preparing students for future
computer use/education.

Background: we are a small private Christian elementary school with a
very limited budget and basic staffing. The school board is also made
up of people who have no experience in teaching (mostly business
people) and they don't interact with the school directly (IE: they're
completely out of touch).

What would be the best way to reassure them that the system we have
IS able to prepare the students for the future (IE: Doesn't need to
be Windows)? Note that in our area (Toronto) there is no ministry-
mandated computer curriculum, so essentially the lab is used as a
reference room for other subjects.

Thanks,
Joseph