[K12OSN] Best approach to calm the school's administration about Linux?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri May 28 21:26:40 UTC 2004

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After finally setting up everything and having the lab running
> smoothly, some issues have arisen.
>
> It seems rumours within the school's administration/board abound that
> the lab we have is totally useless for preparing students for future
> computer use/education.

That's absolutely preposterous.
They can learn all of the typical office productivity skills they would
normally learn on a buggy, insecure Windope lab, such as word
processing, spreadsheets, slide presentation, web page creation, etc.,
they can do internet research, manipulate graphics, etc., etc., just as
well in your lab, and they'll have less down time for viruses and
crashes.  Also, you can maintain current software without licensing
costs (my school is all Macs still running OS 9, besides the linux boxes
I've brought in and my OS X iBook.  Schools never stay current with
proprietary stuff due to costs). Besides, now they will have access to
source code and can learn so much more than they ever could in a
Micro$lop lab. They can learn about networking by actually networking
things, not by pointing and clicking, etc., etc.  The benefits of an OSS
lab in a school are myriad:  costs, stability and security, and
increased learning potential are all part of the package.
Don't get me started!

tony

> Background: we are a small private Christian elementary school with a
> very limited budget and basic staffing. The school board is also made
> up of people who have no experience in teaching (mostly business
> people)

You mean "clueless morons".

and they don't interact with the school directly (IE: they're