[K12OSN] Best approach to calm the school's administration about Linux?

Ken Meyer kmeyer at blarg.net
Fri May 28 23:28:25 UTC 2004

The problem that you say doesn't exist actually does -- very much.  The
ubiquitous "Technical Advisory Committees" will tell the Deans that they
want students who know Microsoft Office, and the Deans aren't capable of,
disabusing the TAC folks of that position; and they wouldn't if they were,
for political reasons.  And being on a TAC is not often a job that is fought
over, so it's likely that the real-world people who are appointed to that
task wouldn't understand either (this is a generalization, and I'm sure that
there are notable exceptions).

Furthermore, most kids don't give a rip about the underpinnings, at least
that's what I've understood Paul Nelson to say -- Paul?  I negotiated a
meeting spot at my favorite local community college for the local Linux User
Group, but even when I go to the Linux classes to issue a personal
invitation, the response to meetings is pretty minimal.

These observations may be less of an issue at the K12 level than at the
vocational, or "professional/technical" level of the community colleges, but
I still suspect that there is significant "trickle-down" of that philosophy.

You weren't started?

Ken Meyer