[K12OSN] Best approach to calm the school's administration ab out Linux?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat May 29 12:55:31 UTC 2004

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> George and Henry's replies make an excellent point:
>
> #1:
> You are teaching the students basic principles of how to use a computer
> which they can use on any type of computer.
>
> For example: Otis Library in Norwich Connecticut installed
> a number of linux boxes for their library patrons to use for word
> processing and internet browsing in November of last year.

NO way!  I didn't know Otis Library was using Linux!  That's cool!
I drive by Norwich on my way to school every morning.  I live in New
London and teach in Sterling, CT (last year I taught in Canterbury,
where all webservices and e-mail are now on Linux boxes, due to my
influence! and, I' have several Red Hat Linux boxes in my classroom
which I built out of donated parts.  I'm leaving Sterling, however, and
the hed computer guy told me to take them with me, because he's afraid
of them.  Instead, I am giving them away to children who don't have a
computer.)

> None of their patrons needed ANY instructions on how to use those
> systems.  They just sat down and started using them.

This is true o my students at Sterling.  I set up the linux boxes and
they sat right down and used them to do internet research, write papers,
do slide presentation, etc., as if they had been using them all their
lives.

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net