[K12OSN] colinux/uml, etc?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat May 1 16:46:46 UTC 2004

Has anyone tried any of the free 'virtual' linux projects along
with k12ltsp to get a testbed without needing extra machines?
VMWare can do it but it isn't free and the alternatives have
some interesting twists.

Colinux http://www.colinux.org/ claims to run a linux
distribution as a windows process and has some hints
on how to make a dual-boot machine let the colinux session
access the physical disk partitions that could also be
booted standalone.  This might be good for a laptop to
be able to access any program from either OS anytime.
They have a canned debian setup, and instructions to convert
other distributions but I didn't find anything specific
about fedora.

User mode Linux http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/index.html
runs one or more virtual sessions which can't affect the
parent machine.  It has the ability to set up a copy-on-write
filesystem where each virtual system shares an initial
master filesystem but changes become local to that instance.
This might be good for a lab setting or other potentially
destructive testing.  The 2.6 kernel is supposed to include
the hooks for UML so it may be less work to set up on FC2.

I've gotten as far as reading the project blurbs on these
two sites.  Has anyone done something with them yet?

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com