[K12OSN] colinux/uml, etc?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun May 2 17:17:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 10:35, Michael Wescott wrote:

> I don't see any way to use UML to look at very early server
> installation issues or client boot time problems. It won't
> emulate PXE or bootp: you always start up a linux kernel under
> UML. But there's nothing to stop you from compiling a client
> kernel under the UML architecture and booting it on the same
> box as your (virtual) server. But there are probably some
> problems getting the Xserver to work for client emulation.

The scenario where UML might fit is where you would like
to give lab students or program developers root access
to install software or try out changes without giving
them each a server-class PC.  Running a UML client for
each would provide isolation while still allowing most
resources to be shared. You could still run the Xserver
on the desktop box but log in as root to a UML session
instead of a normal user in the master session.  You
might have to do something to beef up NFS security if
you have people you don't trust running as root, though.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com