[K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

Andrew Fournier adfour at mtaonline.net
Sun May 2 19:18:12 UTC 2004

No, I hadn't. There are free opensource linux distributions for pdas,
Ipaqs among them. OpenZaurus supports some ipaqs, and there are other
projects.I don't know if your particular model is supported, but it is
worth a look. My point was that a solution for the linux pda issue
exists, that it might apply to yours, and that it is far too common to
hear that there is no solution from folks who haven't really looked
yet.The hard part of acculturating to opensource (or any other kind of
freedom) is that it implies more responsibility, to research, write, and
ask---to find workable consistent solutions rather than to be
bushwhacked by folks who thrive on you doin' what they tell ya to,
whether it's good for you or not. Sorry if my reply seems extreme. I
keep having the discussion re k12ltsp and linux generally that "there is
no one to support it..." and stuff like that despite the presence of 2
lugs, a university and several colleges in the area. There seems to be a
trend toward a certain ability to pass the buck and pay the vendor that
if ind disturbing.