[K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 3 03:36:36 UTC 2004

And there in lies a philosophical contradiction.  It was "free as in
beer" in your specific case and those others that happened to attend
that same meeting.  Six years ago, I got several components of
BackOffice 4.5 by attending a TechNet meeting in Las Vegas.  At the
time, I thought, wow, this is great!  Outlook 98 is great!  Exchange
Server 5.x is terrific!  At the time, I was a MCSE who loved Windows NT
and was trying to convert as many people to it from Novell NetWare as I
could.  It was easy to not think of the economics because, of course,
for me it was free as in beer.

Then I met GNU/Linux.

Richard Stallman speaks of the importance of using software that is
"Free as in Freedom," and if there is a "deficiency", it should be
worked on as soon as possible.  He, and many others, have shown us how
to do that, by example.  Eric Harrison and Jim McQ are doing it as
well.  Their efforts are benefiting us hugely today.  The fact that Red
Hat Linux / Fedora can be tweaked into a distribution called K12LTSP is
due to the software being Free.

If you want to use Outlook, personally, I have no problem with that.
However, the more people choose to use Free Software and report any
"deficiencies" back to the developers, the better the software will
become.  OpenOffice.org build 641c was not quite as capable as Microsoft
Office 2000 or XP, so I helped by using it and reporting issues that I'd
find, and now OpenOffice.org 1.1 is one heck of an office suite as a
result of folks like me doing this.

Back when I worked for Microsoft, we constantly heard about the need to
"eat our own dog food," even if someone else's product did the job
better at that time.  Why?  So we could report issues back to the dev
teams.  That's why we were constantly asked during 1995 and 1996 to
eschew using Netscape Navigator, which we had used for years, and start
using the beta versions of IE.  Same for Windows 95; most of us were
using Windows 95 back in January 1995, on our production boxes, eight
months before its release to the public.  Microsoft to this day, for
example, routinely runs beta server software on their production network
and gets feedback from the employees to make it better.  Same for client
platforms and apps.

I believe that it behooves us to take a page from the Microsoft
Corporation in this regard.  We eat our own dog food, as they do, and we
too will see the benefits in improvements to Free Software.  This is why
at work I use Ximian Evolution with the MS Exchange Connector.  Sure, I
could use Outlook and things would work fine.  Currently, the Exchange
Connector (admittedly, not Free Software) for Evolution, I find, has a
few stability issues.  However, it allows me to use a Free mail client
at work (Evolution), for which I can provide feedback to Ximian, and I do.

--TP