[K12OSN] SME comm problem

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 3 22:28:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 16:55, Tom Brown wrote:
> Since we are discussing SME, can I get help with a serial modem problem?
>
> I have two test boxes, both Pentium 2 vintage. I've installed SME 5.0, 5.6
> and 6.0.1, and none of them will recognize an external serial modem. I have
> tested with two known good modem (Sportster and Zoom) and cable sets. I
> currently have the Sportster installed. I use minicom to test the line.
> Never do the modem LEDs change from CS to any other condition.

You aren't getting as far as talking to the modem. When you open
the line with minicom, kermit, the dialer, or whatever, the modem's
TR (or DTR) led should come on.  Are you sure the serial port is enabled
in bios and that the kernel finds it?   If you do:
dmesg |less
and look for the Serial driver initialization, does it mention ttyS00
and an interrupt it will use?  Is that the device you are using?

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com