[K12OSN] ad-zapping with squid

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue May 4 02:57:52 UTC 2004

I just recently edited my home firewall following this article on Linux Journal:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7556&mode=thread&order=0

I absolulty (sp?) love it !!! It really speeds up my dial-up connection, and no more 'monkey punching'.  I was wondering (1) if anyone has tried this in a production/school environment and (2) if you see any problems - legal, social issues, etc - to applying it to the school firewall?

I know that at my school, speed and bandwidth are not really an issue, but just keeping the annoying pop-ups and other crazyness the can side track students while working just may be worth it.

As a disclaimer, I am from the school of thought that says students are blasted with ads from so many other places all day long, school should not be one of those places (I HATE the soda/pop machines in the school)