[K12OSN] SME comm problem

Tom Brown tbrown at michiana.org
Tue May 4 18:00:19 UTC 2004

At 10:47 PM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 22:00, Tom Brown wrote:
>
> > dmesg shows:
> > . Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
> > . ttys00 at 0x03F8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> > . ttys01 at 0x02F8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> >
> > The 16550A UART should run at 115K with no problem, but I have it set
> lower
> > in Minicom. SME set speed at 115K in /etc/diald.conf.
>
>That looks right except I thought it should be ttyS0 and ttyS1 but
>it may be different if you are running a really old kernel. On
>some versions you used /dev/cua0 to call out, /dev/ttyS0 for
>logins.  Do you get any error when you try to use minicom to
>access the device?  The TR led should come on in any case
>if you have the right device name.   If the comm port connectors
>aren't directly on the motherboard there is also some chance
>that the wires go to the wrong headers so try using the
>'wrong' device name too.

/dev/modem is linked to /dev/ttyS1. Only dmesg/message (kernel) reports
ttyS01.

You may have pegged the problem on this test box. I left SME pointing at
/dev/modem (ttyS1) and switched the cable to physical port com1 (ttyS0).
The SME Internet test failed, but all the right lights lit on the modem. I
attempted browsing Google with Lynx. Two tries and I was in. I searched for
contribs.org and browsed it. Tested successfully with two modems and two
cables.

So there appears to be two potential causes for the comm errors:
1. The mobo may be improperly connected to the physical port (cables crossed)?
2. Internal port assignments (links) in SME may be crossed?

I have the same problem with a production SME server. One down. One to go.

Thanks.

Tom