[K12OSN] WBEL Mail Server

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Wed May 5 14:44:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Bert Rolston wrote:
> How does it handle domain mail?
>
> Can it drag the whole lot down to the local server, or does each user
> have to get the e-mail from the ISP?
>
> Could you give me a "mud map" schem,atic with appropriate modules. I've
> got Squirrel mail working, and it is Simple to install. Domain mail is a
> bit of a puzzle for me still.

Bert,
	the way i do it is to have MX record point to the mail gate
machine - that causes all the incoming mail to go there. this machine is
aso my outgoing mail gate, my squirrelmail server, dns squid (guard)
server and other whatnots. I suppose you can use fetchmail to get all the
mail for your domain from the isp, that is if you dial up sporadically. if
you are connected to the 'net via a link that mostly stays up, then add
the MX record in the dns server that has the authority for your domain.

	As to squirrelmail - i added many plugins, some of them really
necessary, like java freecell, some of them less important ;-)  here is
the current list:
Installed Plugins
    1. delete_move_next
    2. squirrelspell
    3. newmail
    4. address_add
    5. abook_take
    6. calendar
    7. twc_weather
    8. vkeyboard
    9. todo
    10. freecell
    11. dictionary-0.6
    12. mail_utilities
    13. compatibility
    14. mini
    15. bayesspam

 Available Plugins:
    16. administrator
    17. bug_report
    18. filters
    19. fortune
    20. info
    21. listcommands
    22. mail_fetch
    23. message_details
    24. sent_subfolders
    25. spamcop
    26. translate
Mind you, available plugins are those i have loaded but not moved them to
active configuration.

	There is pretty decent writeup on SquirrelMail website on how to
work with plugins. Individual plugins have their own descriptions, some of
them are somewhat lacking in clarity. hope this answers your questions.
julius