[K12OSN] Unable to boot from CD to install K12 LSTP 4.0.1

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed May 5 18:12:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 13:00, Luke Maslany wrote:

> As I mentioned in my email though, I have successfully booted a number of other operating systems including SUSE, Debian, Gentoo and SmoothWall - all using the same machine with the same boot order and BIOS configuration.
>
> I have also tried downloading the images from three different servers (although this was a pointless gesture I suppose as the md5 checks were all the same), made at least two copies of each ISO set and two different sorts of CDR.
>
> I was really hoping someone had experienced the same problems!! :)

I've booted with those images.  I have seen problems with some CD
media on older PCs.  In particular, most won't boot from CDRW and
they may have trouble with disks written at the higher speeds of
the newer writers.  I've seem some where you could make the
floppy boot image, boot from it, then install from the CD but
it is faster to nfs export a directory containing the iso images
and do an NFS install.  Fedora FC2 has a new image that you can
copy to USB storage but the older stuff probably won't boot from
that either (and I couldn't get it to work on a machine that did
boot it).

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com