[K12OSN] XFree fatal error 104

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri May 7 11:55:14 UTC 2004

I just took a look at two of mine.  One's running K12LTSP 2.1.2, and the
other's running K12LTSP 3.1.2.  Here's what I get, in both cases (only
the dates differ):

-bash-2.05b$ ls -l tty?
crw--w----    1 root     root       4,   0 Jan 30  2003 tty0
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   1 May  3 09:47 tty1
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   2 May  3 09:47 tty2
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   3 May  3 09:47 tty3
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   4 May  3 09:47 tty4
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   5 May  3 09:47 tty5
crw-------    1 root     root       4,   6 May  3 09:47 tty6
crw--w----    1 root     root       4,   7 Apr 30 16:16 tty7
crw--w----    1 root     tty        4,   8 Jan 30  2003 tty8
crw--w----    1 root     tty        4,   9 Jan 30  2003 tty9
-bash-2.05b$

Notice that I have a "tty7" entry, and also notice the permissions on
it.  My Mandrake 9.2 box also goes up to tty9, BTW.  Since your listing
stopped at tty6, we have one of two options that I can think of to try out.

1.)  Make a new device node for tty7.  That's kinda ugly, and I'll have
to go remind myself how to do it (it's been a while).

2.)  Try changing permissions on one of the other tty's to match what my
tty7 has on it.  Given that the UID and GID are both root, it shouldn't
make a difference, but it's worth a shot.  I'd try it with tty's 4 and 6
first, since that's what your XFree86.0.log file shows that X11 is
trying before it dies.

If 2.) doesn't do the trick, then let us know, and I'll go dust off how
to make device nodes.  :-)

--TP