[K12OSN] 1PC+4KVM=4users/PC

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri May 7 15:00:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 20:47, dalen wrote:
> I noticed this post on the fedora list and thought the k12ltsp folks
> might find it interesting.  I wonder if they use pci video cards or have
> a special motherboard with multiple agp ports.  google cache of HP
> product page is below.
>
> http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:ZRceHQ7y9f0J:h40058.www4.hp.com/products/desktops/441/prod_info.html+hp+441&hl=en

-snip-

I have been away from my PC for a few days so only saw your post
today...

I have some info on this topic that may be of interest, but I don't know
if this is the correct forum to discuss (suggestions of alternative
forums welcomed).  I say that because I see that your post has not
attracted any discussion, which is the same lack of response I got when
I raised this sort of topic many months ago.

Nevertheless, if the rest of the list can be patient, I can answer that
there is a way to give multi-user setups from one PC in Linux without
proprietary HP hardware.  Why would you want to do this?  Simply because
it takes the thin client concept one step further by allowing ZERO
client (of sorts) networking to spread your dollar even further.

You could do a google search on "multi-user linux", but having done that
myself several times, I can save you some time and distill the hits down
to the following list of sites that I found most relevant ( I cut this
from my list of Mozilla bookmarks, so I hope the html tags don't cause
spasm for email clients):

  <bookmark href="http://disjunkt.com/dualhead/">
    <title>Another Quick How-To for Dual-X-Headed/Legged Linux</title>

  <bookmark href="http://startx.times.lv/eng-down.html">
    <title>backstreet ruby</title>

  <bookmark href="http://www.itsopen.net/projects/x-hack/">
    <title>Multi-seat XFree solution under Linux with
framebuffers</title>

  <bookmark href="http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/">
    <title>Multiple local XFree users under Linux</title>

  <bookmark
href="http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/g450.html">
    <title>Sharing your computer with Matrox G450 dualhead HOWTO</title>

  <bookmark href="http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/">
    <title>The Linux Console Project</title>

  <bookmark
href="http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/ruby-contrib/how-to/XFree_local_multi-user-HOWTO/index.html">
    <title>XFree Local Multi-User HOWTO</title>

I have the dual head Matrox card, but have been too timid and impatient
to get it working in the way proposed for a multi-user setup.  Please
report back if you succeed, I'm sure schools would benefit greatly from
this concept.

--
Regards,

	Gavin Chester