[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat May 8 15:51:17 UTC 2004

Steven Santos wrote:

> <snipped TP's step-by-step instructions>
>
> While most of us on the list can do this, Aunt Tilly the teacher will NEVER
> be able to make use of these instructions (try asking Aunt Tilly what a
> "3C905" is).
>
> No, what we really need is a diagnostics CD (ala KNOPIX) that will boot the
> terminal as a semi-fat client, connect to the LTSP server, output all of the
> correct config options for that terminal's lts.conf entry (maybe even auto
> add the entry in lts.conf?) a link to the proper rom-o-matic image and maybe
> a nice script to create a boot floppy/HD boot image from the ROM image.
>
> If we had such an uber utility, then Aunt Tilly might be able to make it
> work without the need for an IT guru to install each and every new donated
> terminal.  Just pop in the diag CD, enter the proper password (to add it to
> lts.conf), click on the r-o-m button if needed, and your done.
>
> Best part is that such a utility would also be useful to IT people. How much
> time would this utility save you every month?  Food for thought.

Might I suggest Damn Small Linux as a means to do this.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
It can be used as a live CD or installed on the hd.  It loves old, slow
machines.  I have an old Pentium 100mhz sitting right here running it on
the hdd, so, it handles the ancient and feeble quite well.

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net