[K12OSN] server needs

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 10 01:04:04 UTC 2004

OpenOffice is the hog of the lot, but it sounds like a small
installation where you could get by with a recent  Athlon processor or
Pentium 4 motherboard, with a bunch of RAM.   I'd make sure the
motherboard takes 12 Gig or better, they are few and far between, but
you'll do ok to start with around 4 Gig of RAM, with the ability to
expand that up to the full 12 Gig as you grow.  If you're on a budget,
but need RAID, consider Serial ATA RAID with a 3ware adapter, since that
vendor plays very well with linux.  I'd also be loading K12LTSP rather
than trying to load LTSP ontop of another linux build.

Best of luck.

BC