[K12OSN] OT: Advice of home cable modem gateway for student's

dale.quigg at aspentech.com dale.quigg at aspentech.com
Mon May 10 15:55:48 UTC 2004

> Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 23:15:15 -0400 (EDT)
> From: aust_txv at ACCESS-K12.org
<snip>
> I need to supply a student's home with a cable modem gateway which
> filters and/or logs web traffic. And has an easy enough interface
> for mom and dad.  Options?
>
> ClarkConnect Home Edition ?
> SME Server ?
> LTSPK12 with DansGuardian and Webmin ?
> Go with some PC/Windows based solution ?
<snip>

Hi Tom,
A long time ago, installed SME on a system, but I'm not up to date on it.
More recently, I've installed IPCop, ClarkConnect, and CensorNet
(www.censornet.com) for an application I had.  I ended up using
ClarkConnect.  However, if a nice graphical interface is a primary concern,
I'd choose CensorNet.  It allows a "regular" person to run reports and add
sites to the blacklists via a GUI.  It is by default more restrictive that
others, but this may be a good thing.  For example, you have to specify (or
probe) for allowed MAC addresses that will even get internet connectivity.

IPCop is good, but you have to get Dansguardian from a contributor.  As of a
few months ago, the version of Dansguardian was fairly old and this version
has a big bug where the user can easily get around the filter.  So, I'd
either choose CensorNet or ClarkConnect since both of those are well
supported and updated.

Hope this helps.
Dale