[K12OSN] RE: Help to convince school

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Wed May 12 16:38:46 UTC 2004

When it comes down to it, there is only one way to sell K12LTSP.  Money,
money, money.

Do a comparison of costs between replacing an exising lab with new
computers and MS software and "replacing" the lab with a new server
using the existing computers as clients (even with new monitors,
keyboards, and mice) and interest will be there.  Do NOT forget to
include the cost savings on managing the lab.

A comparison of replacing (assume 25 computers in a lab) with new MS
computers (at about $1000 each) compared to reusing existing computers
with new monitores, keyboards, and mice (~$250 each) and a server
(~$3000) and the difference will turn some heads quickly.

Sell the cost savings to the "higher ups" and the teachers will be
forced to follow.

Using this approach, you can show how much their "pet" software really
costs.  General applications (web browser, office suite, email client,
graphics manipulation, etc) are free, included, and fully tested in
K12LTSP.  You get to find out how much Aceelerated Reader, etc, really cost.